736 Materials and Finishes for the Sustainable Interior
This course instructs designers in the analysis, evaluation, and selection of construction and finish materials for the sustainable interior. Students will learn methods of determining material appropriateness and considerations when designing a green interior along with understanding the LEED rating system as applied to interior materials.
- Understanding of the principles and concepts of sustainability in relation to the selection and evaluation of materials and products for the green interior.
- Familiarity with various rating and certification systems including LEED and how to evaluate the “greenness” of building materials.
- Understanding of interior environmental issues related to material and finish choices.
- Competency in selecting and specifying green interior building materials and products, including the use of nontoxic, recycled and recyclable products.
- Understanding LEED requirements and how to integrate them into the specifications process.
- Familiarity with relevant environmental legislation.
- Understanding the issues of construction waste management.
Professor: David Bergman, RA, LEED AP, Certified Passive House Designer