742 Sustainable Studio I- Residential Environment
Building on knowledge gained so far in the program and relating to other courses taken concurrently, this design studio focuses on the task of creating a sustainable residential interior. Working in teams, each group will design a residential project assigned from among varying types, ranging from a free standing single family residence, a residence within a multiple dwelling, a residence created through adaptive reuse, or a residence for special populations including a dormitory, group home, or assisted living facility.
- Competency in addressing how initial design strategies and concepts such as solar orientation, passive strategies, and internal space planning impacts interior environmental efficiencies and design development.
- Competency in the development of sustainable interior residential spaces, synthesizing traditional design considerations and green objectives.
- Competency in coordinating architectural, material, environmental, and decorative decisions that support the goal of sustainability.
- Familiarity of sustainable environmental control systems and strategies as they apply to residential environments.
- Competency in collaboration, consensus building, leadership, and team work, utilizing current methodologies and digital technologies to facilitate project collaboration and development.
- Understanding how sustainable approaches can be applied to as variety of residential environments, including single family, multiple dwelling, assisted living, etc.
Studio Instructors: Mark Squeo, AIA LEED AP & Ethan Lu, IIDA AIA IDEC LEED AP