Fall MPS-S Sustainable Studio I
Building on knowledge gained so far in the program and relating to other courses taken concurrently, this design studio focuses on the task of creating a sustainable residential interior. Working in teams, each group will design a residential project assigned from among varying types, ranging from a free standing single family residence, a residence within a multiple dwelling, a residence created through adaptive reuse, or a residence for special populations including a dormitory, group home, or assisted living facility.
- Competency in addressing how initial design strategies and concepts such as solar orientation, passive strategies, and internal space planning impacts interior environmental efficiencies and design development.
- Competency in the development of sustainable interior residential spaces, synthesizing traditional design considerations and green objectives.
- Competency in coordinating architectural, material, environmental, and decorative decisions that support the goal of sustainability.
- Familiarity of sustainable environmental control systems and strategies as they apply to residential environments.
- Competency in collaboration, consensus building, leadership, and team work, utilizing current methodologies and digital technologies to facilitate project collaboration and development.
- Understanding how sustainable approaches can be applied to as variety of residential environments, including single family, multiple dwelling, assisted living, etc.
Drawings and renderings below were produced in Revit (BIM), Sketchup and 3D Max.
Studio Instructors: Mark Squeo, AIA LEED AP & Ethan Lu, IIDA AIA IDEC NCIDQ LEED AP
Project Team 1: Kiho Park, Olisa Cifligu, Maria Arias
Project Team 2: Oleksandra Novytska, Jenna Lurvey
Project Team 3: Elisabeth Christie, Pingping Jin
Project Team 4: Luciana Conti, Anna Marengo, Hsin Jou Hsiao
Project Team 5: Zarina Hamdard, Jeremy Peng, Alejandra Lara
Note: Click on link below to see sample project research slides